One of the most iconic shots in La La Land (and there are plenty of them) comes early on during Mia’s melancholy walk home. A walk of shame. Her car’s been towed, she’s living in the city of her dreams, a city that shuns her all the same, and she finds herself wondering if she’s good enough. It’s an all-too-familiar road, one she embarks on after each failed audition. On this particular stroll, she finds music that suits her mood, and follows the bread crumbs of the melody to find Sebastian. Continue reading
- I’m 25 and I’ve literally accomplished nothing
- I’ve spent half of my life on social media and I’m learning to accept that (I’m delightful on Twitter, less so on Facebook, but I absolutely killed it on Myspace)
- I am in lesbians with movies
- I quote movies without warning. This is my curse.
- Sometimes that means cutting people out of your life who have no idea what you’re saying (you shouldn’t be friends with those motherfuckers to begin with)
- Sarcasm isn’t just a defense mechanism. It’s a way of life.
- To err is human. To err repeatedly means you probably had too much caffeine.
- Anxiety is the most effective alarm clock
- Student loans are a lot like drowning
- A Liberal Arts education was a brilliant idea! (sarcasm)
- Self-respect is a thing I need to work on
- Dating is also a thing I need to work on but let’s not get into that right now
- Sleep is bae
- Coffee is bae
- 25 seems like a reasonable cutoff for using the word ‘bae’
- Staying in on a Friday night is a thing of beauty
- True friendship is staying at the table long after the check is paid.
- Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
- Things often don’t go the way as planned and that’s okay
- I will never accomplish all the things I set out to do and that’s okay too
- If someone tells you to give up on your dream, you have legal grounds to punch them in the face (Self-Respect Clause 22)
- You were lucky to have loved the women who came into your life. Remember that.
- You chose writing. Writing didn’t choose you, ergo it doesn’t owe you anything.
- Listing counts as writing so good job.
*If you came here for advice, I sincerely apologize
In all seriousness, I’d like to give my thanks to those who invested in me and took the time to read my blog (you could have watched another panda video and you didn’t and I appreciate your sacrifice). It’s because of you I decided to make a personal investment and purchase this domain. That’s right, Adrian Vs. The World is official now. Here’s to a new chapter of punctuated nonsense.
What is it about dreams that make them so unbearably cinematic? Perhaps it’s the chase, the song and dance of it. The grandiosity, vividness. Or its proximity. How close it seems once we’ve projected the idealized versions of ourselves in the cinema of our subconscious. I suppose the real question is what makes us want to chase our dreams when the world tells us otherwise. When we’ve faced rejection, tasted failure. How long do we go on chasing something until we realize we’re just making a fool of ourselves? Continue reading